25 June 2008

And so I lived a year in Berlin. The city has a place for everyone it seems, and with some time I cannot imagine anyone not feeling right in the city. It is impossible to say that I know the whole city, but I believe nobody can claim this, not even someone born and raised in Berlin. It is a city that is becoming, with every aspect changing, from its social make-up to the reconstruction of original architecture. New art forms ride on the constructive developments of the city, finding inspiration in the many changes. It is multi-layered, with underground scenes, metropole attitudes, neo-punk, immigrants, coffee culture,a heavy-laden past, electronic music, entirely different neighborhoods etc. Maybe I can say that I know some of these layers, the electronic clubscene, contemporary architecture, museums, parks, beergartens are all aspects which I tried to get to know properly. Nothing is really impressive, or shocking; it is all very real, actually quite friendly and open. Maybe I will return to the city at some point in my life, there is so much more; but within this year, I glimpsed somewhat of the whole in its many brilliant parts, and I am ready to go somewhere else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment