26 December 2006

Friendwise, being on exchange can be rather frustrating as everyone knows there is too little time to dig and too much time for just mutual smiles. You don't want to care too much because you will leave, but you can't care too little either with all the experiences craving for social context. There is the constant temptation to settle in a web of fellow exchange-students and create this pathetic island of internationality cut from surrounding nationality. In my case, I don't know whether it should be 'I managed to find the right people' or 'the right people managed to endure me', anyway I am very grateful for how it was. Just some blinkers:
The spontaneous 'lets meet-up'-email of Kathy (2nd pic) and chilling in Starbucks; the get-outs with Tesse (3rd, far left), the clubbing with her friends, the hot hotpotting and the bitching 'bout Dr. Lau; the long conversations with Tennia (1st pic), her admirable ideals of changing cultural wrongs, all her wonderful uniqueness contrasting with the common Chinese student and her like-mindedness making me feel so at home; the long-forgotten gaming with namesake and roommate Martin (bottom pics), eating kooky delicacies together, his tolerating of my messy quirks and all his veteran tips that helped me survice the crazy jungle of HKU.
XieXie / M Goi!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment