18 December 2006

So, these are the last days of my time in Hong Kong, so reflection kicked in. For now, I just want to mention a mistake I made. At some points, especially in the post 'Judging the Mass', I attacked the lack of rebels and odd-balls in Hong Kong; completely ignoring the fact that perception of the mass is a complete abstract category. Now, I am not saying that the mass suddenly doesn't exist, the only thing I forgot is that these sort of concepts are extremely dangerous in the naive eyes. When dropped in a such an unknown and alien environment, you try to make sense of the surrounding world through the 'big categories' first, focussing on the many, see how the people generally are. One cannot accurately judge the particular things on their particularity when completely clueless about the common, so I came to realize. But then, wherever you are, the mass will always be stinky, and this feeling is exactly what makes an individualist. This still doesn't save those individuals who indeed continually join the mass and enforce it (they still suck), however, it's just plain evil to judge the individuals here for not being individual. Why? Because it ruins those individuals who do strive for differences. And there are really amazing characters here just as they are anywhere else. I can bitch about the mass and I can bitch about one individual but it's ignorant to judge about the individual as a mass, especially in this case. How cheap this may sound, 'one person does make all the difference' but only a difference to me if I recognize it. It's such a stupid mistake on my side to forget the individualist person who is different from the many, only because they are not many.

3 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Uitzondering bevestigt de regel, of regel kan worden gebroken door de kracht van 1 individu? Na mijn reis twijfel ik aan beide...
    Unknown said...
    He he mart.....heeel goed!
    Je moesje
    Jingwei Zhang said...
    It is so marvelous here.

Post a Comment